Call for applications for the position of CAO for the Travel Media Association of Canada
Rooted in Canada with an international reach, the Travel Media Association of Canada creates a positive space for travel media and travel industry professionals to cultivate relationships that result in relevant collaborative, comprehensive opportunities and successful outcomes to foster and inspire travel.
With a vision to be the trusted organization of choice for accredited travel media and tourism industry professionals in Canada, the association is guided by the National Board of Directors.
Representing nearly 400 accredited travel media professionals and tourism industry media relations managers, TMAC is the voice of Canada’s travel media. As an organization, we strive for inclusivity, openness and forward- thinking in the ever-changing travel industry environment. TMAC values diversity and equal opportunity.
Through their voices as storytellers, in all channels of communication – print, digital, and broadcast – our TMAC members are an integral partner within the economic, cultural and social, sustainable development for communities, businesses and destinations in Canada and around the world. As partners within the tourism industry, their work inspires, educates, and motivates travelers, as they
Building national and international collaborations within the tourism industry, in 2024 TMAC will celebrate its 30th anniversary. We are currently inviting applications for our pivotal role of Chief Administrative Officer. Supporting and assisting our National Board, Committees and members to realize our full potential, this position offers a diverse range of responsibilities and opportunity to be a part of our unique, and important, TMAC family.
TMAC is governed by an elected National Board that carries out both governance and operational roles. Reporting to the National Board are a number of operating committees which are responsible for the programs and services of TMAC. These committees, typically chaired by a Board Member and including several volunteer TMAC members, include: Awards, Conference, Communications, Finance, Future Host, Human Resources, Governance, Membership, National Professional Development, and Sponsorship. Directors, committee chairs, and committee members serve as volunteers. As noted in detail below, the CAO offers support to each of these committees.
Chief Administrative Officer, Travel Media Association of Canada
Full-time based on 40 hours/week.
Remote office operation based anywhere in Canada, serving Canada
$62,000 – $69,000; three weeks paid vacation; bonus plan to be negotiated.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resumé with cover letter to HR email TMACRFPBids@gmail.com
Application Deadline: 12:00 PM EDT, Friday October 27, 2023
The CAO (Chief Administrative Officer) plays a key role in all administrative functions of TMAC, including general association administration and financial oversight; and providing support re. the following: membership relations and management; conference facilitation, hosting and execution; future host and sponsorship outreach and planning; brand, marketing, and partnership development and management; website, social media and communications management.
Functioning both collaboratively and independently, the CAO works directly with the National Board, its committees, chapters and membership, ensuring TMAC operates effectively and efficiently while guiding the organization’s sustainability and relevance.
Guided by the Strategic Plan (being finalized Fall 2023), the following areas of responsibilities demonstrate the comprehensive range of this role.
- Financial Oversight
- Member Relations
- Conference, Future Host and Sponsorship
- Marketing & Communications
- Awards Program
- Coordinate with and take direction from the Board and from all relevant Committees of the Board in carrying out all tasks.
- Prepare and make monthly reports to the National Board and Membership Committee summarizing monthly activities, outline upcoming tasks and provide alerts to any urgent matters.
- Participate in an annual performance review.
- Coordinate with and take direction from the Board and from the Membership Committee, Awards Committee and all other relevant Committees of the Board in carrying out all tasks.
- Provide support and assistance in matters relating to governance and development.
- Serve as the administrative point of contact for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned by the board.
- Secure, contract and manage bookkeeping services, auditor, web tech services, and any other required services as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Liaise with the accountant and the auditor to provide all information requested for annual financial audit and make all adjustments suggested by the auditor.
- Ensure TMAC meets the responsibilities required by the Canada Corporations Act, including annual filings.
- Ensure TMAC has necessary liability and indemnification insurance for the Board and association.
- Manage day-to-day banking, and maintain current signing officers of the TMAC account as per TMAC By-Laws.
- Manage and process membership fees, conference fees, and award fees.
- Manage and process payables.
- Provide the Treasurer with monthly statements and a detailed quarterly financial report.
- Develop and prepare annual budgets in conjunction with the Treasurer for annual approval.
- Provide guidance to ensure the fiscal sustainability of the association.
- Manage and oversee contracted services to ensure TMAC’s needs are being met.
- Oversee ‘office’ administration for TMAC.
- Assist the Secretary in organizing monthly board conference calls.
- Working with the Secretary, Treasurer, President and Committees, distribute Board packages to TMAC Board members in advance of each meeting including financial statements, agenda and any required supporting material.
- In advance of monthly Board meetings, provide financial statements to the Treasurer for approval and distribution.
- Attend all Board meetings and, if necessary, assist the Secretary in preparation of the Minutes within seven days of each meeting.
- Oversee and administer the expense policies and reimbursement of all TMAC related expenses to National Board and Association members.
- Coordinate and oversee the distribution of the AGM package, including the annual report.
- Support the TMAC Board of Directors in the preparation and facilitation of the AGM and ensure all necessary voting materials are printed and distributed in proper quantity and in a timely manner.
- Implement the strategic plan as developed and directed by the National Board of Directors.
- Organize strategic planning sessions as directed by the National Board.
- Supports the membership committee to design and implement an annual recruitment drive, as required.
- Receive membership applications determine eligibility and work with Media and Industry Committees to approve new and renewed memberships.
- Collect membership renewals and process membership dues.
- Follow up with overdue accounts.
- Design, print, and distribute media membership press card program.
- Oversee and facilitate an attractive member benefits program.
- Maintain TMAC’s membership database.
- Provide updated lists to Chapter Chairs on a monthly basis.
- Respond to inquiries from members in a timely manner with the goal of satisfying all inquiries in a complete and timely manner.
- Respond to enquiries from the National Board, National Committee Chairs, and Provincial Chapter Chairs.
- As directed by the Board, attend chapter meetings and M&M's whenever possible.
Conference, Future Host and Sponsorship
- Facilitate and manage the execution of the annual conference under the leadership of the Conference Planning Committee (CPC).
- Support CPC in the solicitation of host proposals.
- Visit prospective sites when necessary, possible, affordable.
- Send announcement of selected host destination and conference dates to TMAC members.
- Prepare and work within the conference budget in collaboration with the TMAC Treasurer and CPC.
- Ensure conference payments and invoices are dealt with in a timely fashion.
- Submit final report to Board including revenue and expense overview, sponsorship and final registration summary by membership type, including provincial breakdown and comparison to previous conferences.
- Work with the Sponsorship Committee to communicate opportunities to industry and liaise with sponsors.
- Ensure that TMAC has an efficient registration, media marketplace appointments and all other necessary components required.
- Maintain and update registrations as required. Ensure that the registration service provider has the capabilities of producing name tags, delegate kits (if required), media marketplace appointment schedule distribution.
- Ensure all additional expertise is available for audio visual and technology on site.
- Manage delegate requirements.
- Coordinate and confirm conference venue and room blocks.
- Prepare in conjunction with the CPC and PD Committee a detailed review of conference programming and activities for presentation to the TMAC Board of Directors.
- Assist in procurement and distribution of gifting for hosts and sponsors, if required.
- Manage all issues that may arise onsite related to transportation, sponsorship, host destination, offsite venues and registration. Arrive 48 hours in advance and be on call 24/7 during the conference.
- Design and carry out a conference survey of all delegates and report findings to the Board of Directors and CPC.
- Administer the functioning and evolution of the TMAC website (currently based within Drupal and CiviCRM) to best serve members.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the TMAC website ensuring information is current as it pertains to all aspects of the organization including communication pieces, Board packages, and annual conference updates and registration.
- Manage the TMAC website within the parameters of the annual operating budget.
- Liaise with website developer, as required, to ensure changes to TMAC website are made accurately and expeditiously.
- Monitor and report on travelmedia.ca analytics.
- Maintain travelmedia.ca as the portal for TMAC’s CRM and membership management, ongoing updating, manipulation, and administration for memberships, conference registrations, award program management, etc.
Marketing & Communications
- Help position TMAC as the leading media/industry voice in the Canadian travel marketplace.
- With the direction of the National Board, develop marketing initiatives and build partnerships to help raise the profile of TMAC in the Canadian travel marketplace.
- Manage the social media platforms on a daily basis.
- Support the Sponsorship committee as programs are developed to retain existing sponsors and attract new sponsors to TMAC.
- As directed by the Board and committees, prepare media releases, and strategic communications on behalf of TMAC.
- Maintain ongoing and open communication with TMAC members.
- Distribute communications for TMAC Awards, including reminders and updates.
- Create and manage online forms for submissions.
- Receive and record all awards entries and distribute to judges as directed by the Awards Committee.
- Follow up with incomplete submissions.
- Prepare a report of submission for the Awards Chair to track progress.
- Prepare an awards package for judging including instructions, letters, evaluation forms, etc.
- Oversee the judging process.
- Facilitate judge’s meeting to review winners and honorable mention lists.
- Provide a report to the Awards Committee for communication to pertinent recipients including sponsors.
- Coordinate payment of judges.
- Facilitate awards ceremony.
- Prepare certificates, badges, etc. for winners
- Work with the Awards Committee to coordinate and arrange an awards presentation including PowerPoint, MC selection, signage and onsite supplies.
- Prepare, announce and promote Award Winners and the sponsors. Post to website and communicate winners in a press release post-conference.
- Prepare awards report for Awards Committee and TMAC Board of Directors, including any recommendations about TMAC Awards that come from the conference survey.
The Travel Media Association of Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more about TMAC, visit travelmedia.ca