AWARDS SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Please read these Award Submission Guidelines carefully before submitting your entry(ies).
1a. JUDGED AWARDS (MEDIA ONLY): Entries must have been published between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021; except in the category of Emerging and Broadcast Media, in which entries may be published between January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2021 due to this being a new category.
1b. MEMBER VITED AWARDS (MEDIA & INDUSTRY): Entires must be published within the dates specified for each category and are subject to the submission deadlines as outlined here.
2. Entries must meet the same minimum criteria as content submissions for media membership qualification/re-qualification. You can access the Media Membership Points Table here. (Note: the NEW Emerging and Broadcast Media award is exempt.)
3. An entry may only be submitted once. Multiple entries of the same article/photo will be disqualified. However you are eligible to submit one additional entry per award. Each entry must be accompanied by a completed online TMAC 2021 Awards Entry Form. Each entry must be accompanied by a completed online TMAC 2021 Awards Entry Form.
4. Only the creator of the entry may submit it, and only work done exclusively by TMAC members is eligible. It is understood that entries in the Emerging and Broadcast Media Award may be created by teams. In this event, one member of the team must be a TMAC Member and a creative lead on the project for the submission to qualify. An article or photo must have appeared in a publication or post that meets the same criteria and minimum circulation figure as would qualify or re-qualify you for TMAC media membership. You can access the Media Membership Points Table here.
6. As a TMAC media member in good standing, you receive three (3) complimentary entries. Each additional entry will cost $20. You may provide up to 10 entries. After the competition is closed (February25, 2022), you will be invoiced for any additional submissions over the three (3) complimentary.
Payment can be made online with a credit card, through an e-transfer or by cheque. Payment must be made in full by prior to the top five finalists announcement!
7. For Written Word entries (EXCEPT FOR BLOGS), two (2) separate copies must be uploaded.
*PLEASE NOTE: BLOG POSTS/COLUMN ENTRIES DO NOT REQUIRE JUDGE'S COPY!
8. For the Visual Award, please upload multiple images up to a total of 5 (five) images using We Transfer (https://wetransfer.com/) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure that your photos are labelled properly.
9. All photograph entries must be submitted in high resolution format (minimum size: 1MB.) Please note that excessive use of Photoshop is not recommended.
10. For the Emerging and Broadcast Media Award we expect that submissions will come in many forms, from links to uploads. For this reason, we ask that entrants in these categories submit a maximum two page PDF describing the project, including any relevant links.
*Please submit your PDF, along with any other relevant media using We Transfer (https://wetransfer.com/) and send to email@example.com. This is prompted in the submission as well. Please make sure that your documents are labelled properly for ease of identification.
11. By submitting, winners must agree to allow TMAC to use their entries for promotional purposes at no charge.
12. TMAC reserves the right to add or remove categories at any point during the Awards competition at its discretion. Any member who has submitted in those categories will be advised immediately and any charges will be reimbursed. All members will be notified.
13. Please note the following change in terminology for the 2021:
As you review all categories, after careful review and consideration, the word 'feature' has been replaced with 'story'. This is meant to be interpreted to be inclusive of articles, posts, columns, as well as features.
14. The decisions of the award judges and award administrators are final.
15. The deadline for submitting your entries for the 2021 TMAC Awards is February 25, 2022.
For your reference and convenience, we have an Award Submission Instruction PDF to help guide you, access it here.
This document is also available at the bottom of this page, simply scroll to the end of the FAQs.
Please note that the 2021 Awards are presented in 2022 but are based on work performed/completed in 2021, unless otherwise specified.
Q. Do nominees have to be members of the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) or can they be anyone?
A: Nominees have to be TMAC members whose membership fees are fully paid for 2022 (Due Feb 28/21).
Q. Can I nominate myself or does someone else have to nominate me?
A: You can only nominate yourself for Media Awards entry.
Q. Do my entries have to have been published?
A: The entry article or photo or video must have appeared in a publication or digital posting between January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021.
The exception is for the Emerging and Broadcast Media Award in which entries may be published between January 1, 2017 to February 25, 2021.
Q: When will the award ceremony take place?
A: The TMAC 2021 Awards will be presented at the 2022 TMAC Conference in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, taking place June 22-26, during the June 25 Awards Gala.
Q: Will the names of the individuals who have entered into the awards be announced publicly?
A: Yes, the top five finalists will be announced in May 2022.
Q. Can I re-enter a submission that did not win in 2020 but was published within the time period?
Q. Can I submit the same story and/or image in two different categories?
A: No, submit one story among the 11 Award options - if the same story is submitted twice or more, it will be disqualified. Be sure to submit once and in the best Award category based on your assessment.
Q. I have a story that I'd like to submit for one of the 11 'Judged' Awards, but would like to submit for the Nathan Fong Award as well - can I?
A. Yes, the 11 'Judged' Awards are separate from the Membership Voted Awards, under which the Nathan Fong Award falls.
Q: How do I submit my entry(ies)?
A: Please use the online 2021 TMAC Awards Entry Form.
All entries must be received by Friday, February 25, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EST.